Electrical Safety TipsRead these carefully!
Be safe around electricity! Here are a few helpful tips to remember:
- Don't touch an electric switch with wet hands!
- Never overload outlets with too many plugs!
- Never plug in an electric cord that is frayed!
- Don't use electrical equipment outdoors in the rain!
- Never use water to put out electrical fires!
- Don't stand under trees or telephone poles during a storm!
- Stay away from fallen electrical lines!
- Fly kites in open fields away from electrical lines!
- Stay out of the water during a thunderstorm!
- Stay away from substation fences!
- Do not throw rocks at utility line insulators or transformers!
- Keep ladders away from power lines!
- Stay away from pad-mount transformers!
- Do not attach anything to electric power poles. This includes satellite dishes, campaign posters, garage sale signs, basketball goals, etc!
- If you own a pool or a lakeside dock, be sure to wire these areas according to the National Electric Code. Read more here.